Friday 15 October 2010

Quick rush post.

This week:
Johnny and I went to see 'The Social Network' on Wednesday. I have been listening to Birdeatsbaby's new EP 'Bigger Teeth' and Chapter Three of Kim Boekbinder's album in 4 parts which is titled 'The Impossible Girl'. I have been obsessively staring at James Jean's website.
I read 'The Accidental' by Ali Smith and 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' by Jonathan Safran Foer

The Social Network is fantastic. I was, I admit, rather surprised. It is, of course, a movie about a website. But still, it was very interesting. Also, Justin Timberlake was in it and his acting was passable enough to make me not feel like hurting him for inflicting 'Sexy Back' on the world every time he opened his mouth. Well done, Mr. Timberlake. Well done. Jesse Eisenberg who played Mark Zuckerberg (the creator of facebook) was pretty good. I feel that the real stand out, though, was Andrew Garfield as facebook co-creator Eduardo Saverin. You should go see it. Apparently the movie isn't very accurate, though. I don't care.

Bigger Teeth by Birdeatsbaby is something I looked forward to for a very, very long time. I pity the fool who doesn't go right to the link at the top of the post to listen to them. As usual, it's perfectly reasonable to say 'if you like The Dresden Dolls, you'll probably like Birdeatsbaby', but that's not to suggest that they don't have a completely different sound belonging entirely to them Go listen to it. Go listen to it. Go listen to it. Also listen to their album 'Here She Comes a-Tumblin''. Last year, Birdeatsbaby came to stay with us on their way to Glasgow. It was very exciting. I was very shy. Johnny played one of their songs (which is also one of my favourite songs ever, called 'I Always Hang Myself With The Same Rope') with them in our living room. Amazing.

The Impossible Girl: Chapter Three by Kim Boekbinder contains large amounts of super-goddamn-awesome. Kim has released her album in parts on the August 15th, September 15th, today and the next part is due out on November 15th. The latest part includes one of my favourite songs, of which a live version was released some time ago, 'Rainbows and Unicorns'. It's so good. Go listen to that as well.

I don't really feel like writing about the books aside from to say that they're great and both well worth a read.

I leave you with this quote from 'The Accidental' which is also currently on the whiteboard in our kitchen:
'Eggs are beautiful', said Astrid. 'When you eat an egg, you are eating beautifulness itself.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers